Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thinking of Kayleigh

I recently searched for blogs of families with preemies out there to follow other journeys as Finley's NICU experience really sunk in with me emotionally after her recent first birthday. We are so thankful that she is healthy and didn't have to go through much, but just being there and going through that experience made me see things a little differently. I found this blog in the past week that has completely consumed me, and I started reading from the beginning of their journey, which started back in April, and read through to what is happening with them today. This isn't usually my way of doing things, but I just couldn't get them out of my thoughts, and right now they need prayers more than ever. The parents (Adam and Aimee Freeman) started the blog because when they had an ultrasound done during pregnancy, the baby was measuring a few weeks behind, and so they started doing a bunch of tests to try and figure out what was wrong with little Kayleigh. At one point she was even growing 4 weeks behind. According to the doctors that they were seeing, she had to get to a certain weight to be viable, but Adam and Aimee were told to basically expect the worse, that Kayleigh probably wouldn't make it. At one point Aimee was put on bedrest and 48 hours before she was born, by chance, one of Aimee's doctors gave her the steroid shots to help improve Kayleigh's lungs. Kayleigh was born on June 23, 2008 at a tiny 1 pound 1 ounce. She has been in the NICU ever since, and I cannot even begin to go into all that she and her parents have been through. The things this family has been through is more than anyone should have to go through in their lives. I write right now asking that you keep them in your thoughts, prayers, whatever you may believe in doing, as they need them more than ever. Kayleigh had been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension a while back, and she is battling that right now. Kayleigh has beaten all the odds with the things she has been dealt in life thus far, and the doctors are trying one last medication that they are saying might be the last 'tool in their toolbox' to use on this little girl. She is precious, and it breaks my heart to read the struggles they have been through. Please pray for Kayleigh that she may grow in weight (she needs to get bigger to compensate for the pressure in her lungs and heart), and that the medicine the doctors are going to try on her will help her. She is 5 months 3 weeks right now, and currently weighing in around 5 pounds. She needs this, her family need this.

Their blog is www.kayleighannefreeman.blogspot.com

The picture on the top of their blog is from when Kayleigh was first born, and that is Adam's wedding band around her arm. It is incredible! Thanks for listening to me. :)

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Wow - that is heart wrenching! We are so blessed. I will certainly say a prayer for their family.

The Nowell's said...

Thanks for the story and all the information. Breaks my heart and I will keep them in my prayers!