Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Crayon Project

Yesterday while Finley was napping Bryson and I did a little activity before I started working. I thought it was so fun, easy and worth a post. It's a great idea to use up a bunch of old crayons, or you could start bringing home all of the extra crayons that you get at restaurants. I don't usually bring them home, but now I have a fun reason to!

You take the wrappers off of the crayons and break them into halves or thirds. Then you place them in a muffin tin with or without cupcake holders. It probably would have been a good idea to put similar colors together, but we just threw them in to see what they would make.



You then bake them at 275 degrees in the oven for 8 minutes. I had to add a few minutes and then mix it a little with a toothpick to melt the rest of a few chunks, but it was easy. They will come out runny, but you just let them set and cool down for a while, and then you'll have new crayons to play with! I was thinking it would be fun to use my mini muffin tins too, but didn't think about it until afterward. These sure made me crave some Reese's peanut butter cups ;)



2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

How fun! That looks like a great project...would be a great addition to a goodie bag at a party, too. I wonder if you could melt them in those candy molds? To do shapes? What a cool idea - thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Somebody's gettin' crafty over there. Looks like Bryson had a great time!