Monday, November 17, 2008

Pedal power

The last few weeks Mike has seen many miles of the hill country and Austin on the bike. In two separate rides, he covered 200 miles. The first ride was the Livestrong Challenge in Dripping Springs, TX. A 90 mile ride to raise awareness for cancer research. This ride was done in honor of Lindsay's Aunt Nanette and in memory of my Uncle Tommy and Aunt Margaret. It was a beautiful autumn day and the winds were light. The charity rides that I participate in are always overwhelming in the support that comes out. Cancer survivors were along the entire route cheering us on and shouting words of encouragement. I did the ride this year with 4 people from my early morning spinning class. One member was a cancer survivor and he was the one who asked me to ride. Thank you to all that donated.












Some of the rest stops had many enthusiastic volunteers













In the twilight before the sun came up. From left to right: A friend of Jon, Jon (cancer survivor), Melissa, Me, and Tim


This past weekend, I finished the Tour Das Hugel and it was just for "fun". Hugel is German for Hills. Its a 110 mile ride around West Austin showcasing all the steep hills in one ride. Some calculations have the elevation climbing pegged at 11,000 feet. Mount Bonnell, Courtyard, Jester, City Park Road, 620 to Mansfield Dam, Riverplace are all included. The temperatures were in the 50s all day, the wind was 20mph, and I ended up being one of the last three to finish in 11 hours and 45 minutes...finishing the last hour in the dark.


At the top of Ladera Norte, the steepest hill in Austin. Loop 360 in the background with the bridge over Lake Austin in the middle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mike! I wish I was brave enough to ride 110 miles uphill in the wind. You know, back in my day...