Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentine's Wreath

A month or so ago I found a wreath online that I wanted to make and have out in time for Valentine's Day. I cannot find it for the life of me to link up the tutorial, so this is my version.

Be warned, this took me some time to do each step, but I was able to do it in waves. I talked on the phone while I traced the circles, I watched t.v. while I cut out the circles late one night, and I also watched more trash t.v. while I pinned the ruffles on. It requires some patience, but worth it for a cute Valentine's decoration.

In total this wreath cost me around $11 to make after buying everything at Hobby Lobby at either 30% or 50% off.

These are the supplies you will need. A foam heart wreath form, scissors, sewing pins (preferably small ones that will hide easily), and 9x12 inch felt pieces in the color of your choice (I used 16 pieces in total). You will also need a ribbon for hanging the wreath, but I don't have that pictured here.

You will also need to make a circle form to trace and cut out the felt with. I used part of a Swiffer Sweeper box that I had just emptied and traced a Carnation evaporated milk can for the size I wanted.
I traced as many of the circle forms on the felt piece that I could and was able to fit in 12 per page.
After tracing the circles, I cut them out. Try to cut inside the pen line so that it is not seen when ruffled up for the wreath.

Take a circle and fold in half, then in half again, and put the pin through the ruffle near the folded edge. You then stick it down into the foam wreath form and just keep folding and pinning into the wreath. You can play with it to make it look the way you want.

After all of the ruffles are pinned in, cut a piece of ribbon the length that you want to hang the wreath from, and pin to the back of the heart. I did not make ruffles on the back side of the heart so that it would lie flat against the front door, but you could do the whole thing if you wanted to take the time for it.
Here is the finished product. I love it!! Happy Valentine's Day!


5 comments:

~Kara~ said...

i LOVE this!! How vibrant and festive!! Well done. -kara

The Nowell's said...

I saw this tutorial online too and planned to make it! Your tutorial is great and the wreath turned out beautifully!

kb4525 said...

This is gorgeous!!!I will have to try this~

Court said...

I think I'm ready to place my order. ;)

Marisa said...

I love it!